I love my carbs, so I am constantly looking for recipes where I can substitute bread for something else, and still have it taste delicious. This recipe fits the bill perfectly!!
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded + more for inside your calzones
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- tomato sauce or olive oil for inside the calzones
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet wth parchment paper and grease w/olive oil.
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower in batches(process until evenly chopped but not pulverized).
- Transfer caulifower rice to a microwave dish and microwave on high for 8 mintues, until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out as much moisture as you can. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry.(I just put paper towels in my strainer and put the cauliflower on top of them and pushed down with another paper towel).
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl and add egg, mozzarella, oregano, sea salt. Mix well.
- Using your hands, press the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 3 discs(around 5in in diameter).
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and working quickly, top half of each disc with tomato sauce & mozzarella.(I used olive oil instead of tomato sauce)
- Using a spatula lift the other half and fold it over. Your calzones will probably break/crack when you do this but you can easily fix it with your fingers.
- Use your fingers to push the edges of each calzone together to seal in the filling.
- Bake for an additional 12 mintues.