Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t love chicken, but try to have it at least once a week for my husband. However when it is filled with guacamole….that I can eat!:) I found this recipe while browsing pinterest.
- 4 small boneless
- skinless chicken breasts (1¼ – 1½ lb. total weight)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp. diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped tomato
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
(Or if you’re lazy like I am just buy premade guacamole)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a mallet to pound each chicken breast thin and flat. Set aside. ( I didn’t have a mallet so I didn’t do this step. It still worked just not as pretty)
- Remove the peel and seed from the avocado. Place the avocado in a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the onion, tomato, lime juice, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Divide the guacamole between the chicken pieces and spread it into a thin layer.
- Roll up the chicken, starting with the skinniest edge (the part that comes to a point). Secure the seam with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs.
- In a separate shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, lime zest, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Stir to combine.
- Roll the stuffed chicken in the eggs. Let the excess egg drip off.
- Press and roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess breadcrumbs.
- Place the chicken seam-side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Discard the remaining egg and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and it’s coating is golden brown and crispy.