I feel like we eat the same thing every day for supper at our house and I just get bored. I was browsing pinterest to see if anything caught my eye and I came upon this recipe. I absolutely love tuna…like could eat it every day kind of love. This recipe was super easy and so delicious! I made a lot of changes, basically because I didn’t have some of the ingredients and didn’t want to go buy them. I will post the original recipe and note the changes I made. You can decide how you want to make it.
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard( I skipped this)
- 1/2 cup white bread torn into small pieces(I used breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest(skipped this)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice(skipped this, but added 1 extra tbsp of water to make up for it)
- 1 Tbsp water (or liquid from the cans of tuna)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives, green onions, or shallots( I used chives)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A couple squirts of hot sauce or tabasco(no hot sauce for me!!)
- 1 raw egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter( I used coconut oil)
- Drain the liquid from the tuna cans. If you are using tuna packed in water, reserve a tablespoon of the tuna water, and add a teaspoon of olive oil to the tuna mixture in the next step.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the tuna, mustard, torn white bread, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, parsley, chives, and hot sauce. Sprinkle on salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste the mixture before adding the egg to see if it needs more seasoning to your taste. Mix in the egg.
- Divide the mixture into 4 parts. With each part, form into a ball and then flatten into a patty. Place onto a wax paper lined tray and chill for an hour. (You can skip the chilling if you want, chilling just helps the patties stay together when you cook them.)
- Heat the olive oil and a little butter (for taste) in a skillet on medium high. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Eat by themselves or on a bun.
What did you think????