My husband loves Clif Bars, but at about $1.00 a bar they get pricey when he takes one to work every day. I’ve been seeing recipes to make homemade ones all over the place and I thought I would give it a try myself. I basically combined two recipes that I saw here and here to make my own recipe. I love recipes where you can modify to make something that fits what you like.
- 1 1/4 cup rice krispie cereal
- 1 cup uncooked quick oats
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts or seeds(I used 1/4 cup almonds and probably almost another 1/4 cup sunflower seeds)
- 1/3 cup honey(You could also use maple syrup or brown rice syrup)
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter of your choice e.g. peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter(I used all natural peanut butter)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Other add ins: 3 tbsp. mini chocolate chips, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 cup chopped fruit(raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc)
- Combine the honey and nut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended (or microwave in small microwave-safe bowl 30-60 seconds until melted).
- Add vanilla extract to the honey and nut butter mixture.
- In a large bowl combine cereal, oats, flaxseed, cocoa powder, nuts, and whatever other add ins you are using.
- Pour the nut butter mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring until everything is well combined. I used a spatula for this step because it gets really sticky.
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and firmly press it down until the top is level.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before transferring to the refrigerator to cool for another 30 minutes or so.
- When you’re ready just pull the wax paper out of the pan and place on a cutting board. I used a pizza cutter to cut them into bars. I made 9 bars out of mine. You could make them smaller or bigger, depending on what you want.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until you need one!
I was worried they would fall a part when I tried to cut them, but I didn’t have a problem. There are a few crumbs but overall they stayed together well and tasted great!