I’ve been trying to eat extra healthy lately because I can’t seem to lose these last 5 pounds of baby weight so I’ve been packing on the veggie dishes. Here is the original recipe. I modified it a bit for my family. It’s delicious…though quite messy to clean up if you have an almost 1 year old who likes to throw quinoa on the floor. Seriously I love quinoa but it is THE worst thing to clean up off the floor. It’s up there with cottage cheese.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large bell peppers, finely chopped (I used 1 green and 1 red pepper)
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas( I don’t measure this I just grapped a couple handfuls at the grocery store. You could use snow peas as well)
- 1 bunch parsley/dill/basil, finely chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet or dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers and saute for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add quinoa, water, bay leaves and stir. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, reduce heat to lower medium and cook for 12 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add vegetables. At this point quinoa should be cooked al dente. Add carrots and broccoli. Stir, cover with a lid and cook on low-medium for 15 more minutes. Add sugar snap peas and parsley, stir and remove from heat. Serve hot.