This one takes a little bit of prep but it’s delicious and a great way to fill your family up on vegetables! I love it because you can customize it to add whatever veggies you have on hand and you can add and subtract ingredients according to your families tastes. I also love any recipe that gives me a chance to use my new Dutch Oven!!! Le Creuset Dutch Oven for the win!!
- 8oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup corn(frozen or canned, I used canned because that’s what I had on hand)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
**You could add spinach, kale, broccoli, celery, mushrooms, green beans….Whatever your heart desires!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large dutch oven cook pasta; add cauliflower during the last 4 minutes. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In the same dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add carrots; cook until carrots are tender. Stir in pasta mixture, peas, and corn.
- For cheese sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add cheddar cheese. Cook and stir until melted. Stir sauce into pasta and vegetables. Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake covered for 35 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake 5 more minutes.